Thursday, April 9, 2009

MIZ-ZOU-RAH!


This photo of Justin Safford, two of my best friends (Kelli and Cassie), Matt Lawrence and me was taken before Missouri's basketball team was anything to rave about. Who would've known we were going to get so good this basketball season?? I'm definitely not complaining, just am a little shocked at the vast improvement we managed to pull off recently. I happen to be a pretty big fan of basketball, therefore this season has proven to be quite exciting as I cheer on my tigers. I am pleased to say I am not a "fair-weather" fan, as I have supported my boys since day one. I am good friends with several of the players and managers which makes this new success even more fun to follow. 

Since I've known them prior to their amazing season, I can vouch for these boys in that they are genuine, down-to-earth and truly enjoy the game for the game...rather than other petty factors often influencing athletes these days. Although close with the teammates, I know little about their personal family lives since we've only just met in college. Therefore, it is very refreshing to read articles like the one below providing background to where these boys come from and why the game means so much to them. 


Prior to reading this article, I had no idea about Matt's sister's autism or that his mother was a member of Delta Gamma. As an active member of Delta Gamma myself, I'll make it a point to ask him why he's never mentioned this to me before. More than anything, I was touched by this article's sincerity. It's always nice to read positive aspects about players and have proof that good things really do happen to good people. 

---------------------------------

I have not yet started my shifts at the station but look forward to tackling them soon. Meanwhile, I've been keeping extremely busy researching potential internships in New York this summer. I am participating in Missouri's New York Internship Program and could not be more excited to earn class credit doing what I love in the nation's top media market. I have written more cover letters than I care to mention because I want them to obviously leave a good impression. I'll be updating soon with my progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment